I make this recipe when I have cravings for American Chinese food. I know it’s not authentic Chinese and the grease can be outrageous, but the heart wants what the heart wants.
2 blocks extra form tofu
2 medium carrots
1 large bell pepper
1 head broccoli
1/2 large onion
1/2 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup sake (Japanese rice wine)
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons orange zest
1 tablespoon flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 pinches cardamom
- Cut both blocks of tofu into cubes and place in a large, zip top bag.
- Next, whisk the soy sauce, orange juice, sake, apple cider vinegar, orange zest, ginger, and cardamom together.
- Pour this over the tofu and let marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Peel your carrots and chop into matchstick sized pieces. Slice the onion and bell pepper into thin strips.
- Trim the head of broccoli and cut into little trees.
- Drain tofu from the marinate and let dry. Reserve the liquid to make a sauce at the end.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat.Add tofu cubes and brown for 3-5 minutes per side until golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the broccoli and carrots and cover. Let steam for 3 minutes.
- Next, place onion and bell pepper in the pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Whisk the marinate with 1 tablespoon of flour. Place the tofu back into the pan and pour over the marinade. Cover and let cook for 3 more minutes.
- Serve alongside noodles or over rice. Enjoy! 😀